Friday, April 28, 2006

Choc-o-lots


Lately, for some reason, every afternoon around the same time I get an almost unnatural urge to consume chocolate. The craving is causing me to wonder what's going on. So, I found myself doing a little research into my need to speed to the candy machine.

PROS:

1.Chocolate stimulates the release of endorphins, natural body hormones that generate feelings of pleasure and well-being.

With this time of "natural high" I should eat chocolate every day. I'd probably be a lot less bitchy.

2.Many women report particular chocolate cravings when pre-menstrual. This is possibly because chocolate contains magnesium, a shortage of which can exacerbate pre-menstrual tension.

See my remarks for #1.

3. Central nervous stimulants such as caffeine are also present in small amounts, and this has a mild effect on alertness as we know from drinking coffee. Another mild stimulant present in chocolate is theobromine, which also serves to relax the smooth muscles in the linings of the lung.


Helps you stay alert and breath better? This is getting good.

4. Chocolate contains a natural 'love drug'. Tryptophan is a chemical that the brain uses to make a neurotransmitter called serotonin. High levels of serotonin can produce feelings of elation, even ecstasy - hence the name of the designer drug that also works by increasing serotonin levels.

Scary...probably means I'd be an addict to ecstasy too.

5. Californian scientist Professor Carl Keen and his team have suggested that chocolate might help fight heart disease. They say that it contains chemicals called flavinoids, which thin the blood, helping to prevent clotting. Scientists have already suggested that red wine acts in this way. However, sceptics have pointed out that Keen's research is funded by confectionery maker Mars.

Net net, drink red wine and eat chocolate to live longer if you believe the study.

CONS: (Although hard to find of course there has to be some)

1. People who eat too much chocolate have a lower life expectancy. Chocolate's high fat content means that excess indulgence can contribute to obesity, leading to an increased risk of heart disease.

Doesn't that contractdict PRO #5? I guess it's eat, drink and be dead.

2. Dogs and other domestic animals like horses metabolise the chocolate ingredient theobromine more slowly than humans. Safe doses for us could be toxic or even lethal doses for our pets, affecting their hearts, kidneys and central nervous systems.

Keep your chocolate away from Rover and Mr. Ed. More for me anyway.

Chocolate has so many good qualities and, as with most things we love that are not always good for us, moderation is the key. But every now and then, I say it's okay to give in and eat an entire king size Hershey bar...right?

1 comment:

W.M. Turner said...

Whew! What a relief to understand those afternoon chocolate cravings! I get them too. Thank goodness for plain M&Ms.