Tuesday, February 28, 2006

American Idol-aholic



Hello, my name is Deb and I'm an Idol-aholic. Yes I'm too old to watch it, yes it's junk food for the brain and yes there is plenty of other things I should be doing, but I can't help it. It's the only television show I watch routinely, so I guess that means I'm hooked.

I hate to admit it, but last week I even called in to vote. It's free, so no guilt about wasting money unless you're one of those that believes time is money, in that case it costs be about an hour to get through. It's amazing to me how many of them can't believe how crappy they sing. Is seems everyone they know has told them how great they are their entire lives and they swagger into the audition to do their thing and WHAM...they suck! They seem stunned and in total denial of what the "judges" say about their talent. How could that be? Well, that would mean everyone's been lying to you or you just suck less than they do. Ha-ha, that's entertainment!

Although I do enjoy watching the show, I must say that music is more than just a lead singer, it's about being a musician. If Mick Jagger was on Idol, I doubt he'd get far. He'd probably be cut during auditions for being too skinny with big lips. I also doubt that Aretha Franklin would make it through auditions because Simon couldn't get past the fact that she isn't model thin. Do we really need another Brittney Spears? I'd say one is quite enough. I like to LISTEN to music not just watch it being performed. Who cares what they look like, how do they SOUND?

So, the show must go on and there I'll be three nights a week, wasting my time but cheering for my favorites.

No comments: